Tuesday, March 11, 2008

GRACE and Kelewele

kelewele in the making..cut, cubed, spiced
It occurred to me that life comes from a fertillized seed which must develop in all kinds of ways, away from view, until the moment of birth, or hatching, or budding, or blooming. Is this why this blog Cooking African has been dormant since the day it was announced? Today feels "write" to say a word.... what word?

Kelewele

There's a Ghanaian song which goes, "kelewele wo de aye me aduro..."

Kelewele, I am under the power of kelewele.
They told me not to say it...I said it
They told me not to make it...I made it
They told me not to eat it...I ate it,
Kelwele, I am bewitched by kelewele.

Adwoa's Canadian style Kelewele Recipe,
Make as much as you want to eat,
Spice it as much as you want to taste,
I go for a lot of spice.....yum.

Kelewele i-i-i-s-s-s...
Spicy hot fried ripe plantain!
Make sure the plantains are healthy and large,
Choose the ones which look yellow and ripe,
Touch them, feel they're moderately soft,
Not too mushy not too hard,
Peel them, take away the skin,
Split them in two along the length
Slice them, cube them if you can,
Sprinkle with onion powder and salt,
And dashes of ginger, fresh or ground
You've done the spicy, bring in the hot
Red cayenne pepper, powder or flakes,
Black pepper too, or ground peppercorn
Toss the cubed plantains in a bowl,
Allow the spices to mix and flavour,
Deep fry until golden brown,...
or
Shallow fry them if you so desire,
Serve alone or with peanuts, as a snack,
Serve as a side dish with rice and beans.

If you make this right and you taste it, you will fall under the power of kelewele. Send me a comment on this blog or write to me at adwoa_badoe@yahoo.ca
The next time I make kelewele, I will take a photo to post on my blog.

No comments: