Thursday, April 3, 2008

Chicken Stir-fry with whatever remains


I was out of onion, otherwise, as a true Ghanaian I could never have dreamt of making a dish without the strong tear-jerking vegetable which flavours all soups and stews and dipping pepper sauces.


Time was running out so I committed to making my own gh. style stirfry sans l'oignon. How could that be?

I thawed chicken breast and cut them into chunky strips.

Sought through the cupboard and found onion powder, cayenne, salt, and garlic powder.

I sprinkled the chicken with the mix of spices Then settled a sauce pan on the stove with a little oil, three or four tables spoons, on medium heat.


Very quickly I measured rice into my rice cooker...one of the greatest of all inventions so long as you know your rice cooker well. We like our rice soft and moist yet not too congealing- that's another dish.


When the oil was hot enough to hiss convincingly, I tossed in the spiced up chicken strips. Yes ! The oil hissed and spit. I stirred in the chicken making sure to spread the pieces apart for every surface to meet with oil.


Quickly I opened my fridge and search my vegetable drawer. One large green pepper, two large red tomatoes and salad leaves looking forlorn...oh dear. Laziness had caught up with me again. I toss the lettuce into the garbage, wash the pepper and tomatoes, and slice them quickly.

Saute: I toss in the peppers first, since they're harder and crunchier .

I add the tomato slices and watch them fry losing firmness in the pot.
In the absence of ginger, one heaped teaspoonful full of Knorr's vegetable stock is all I need to flavour my stirfry which is soon ready to serve over rice.

*You can cut out salt from the rice and just flavour the stirfry sauce to taste.

I can tell you that I received exuberant compliments from my hungry family, for my quick and tasty meal at supper time!

No comments: